Tuesday, June 25, 2013

How to Convince Your Parents to Let You Wear Lolita


I thought that I should post this now, considering I just recently was allowed to dress this way.
I'm going to be honest, If your parents don't necessarily like the idea of you dressing this way, it might be slightly difficult to convince them.  I didn't have too hard of a time, but that might be because I've been wearing Cosplay for four years, so my parents are a little used to the outfits that stand out. 
         
      My Dad was easy to convince, he actually liked the idea of me dressing in longer dresses and modest clothing, probably because he's my dad.  My Mom on the other hand was not so easy to convince.  She didn't know what it was and was embarrassed just by the thought of taking me out in public looking like that, so if you have a problem similar to this, keep reading!

     A trick that I used was to consistently hint at dresses that I found cute online.  I would pull up a Lolita dress on Bodyline and say, "Isn't this cute?  It's not really expensive, either."  I do this sort of thing all the time when I shop online, so my family was used to it.  A word of warning: Do not start by showing them expensive dresses!  I cannot stress this enough.  You don't want their first impression to be that it's all expensive!

     After you've shown them a few dresses online, THEN begin to tell them what Lolita is.  They'll already be a little familiar with the clothes and it won't sound so extreme.  Explain it in a simple way, such as "A Japanese fashion that focuses on modesty and being feminine."  

     If your Mother is like mine, she'll say that no one else where we live dresses like this.  I will admit, I have never seen another Lolita just out and about, but that wasn't my goal when I started dressing this way.  Lolita is a form of self-expression through your clothes, not to fit into a certain crowd.  

     Also, make sure to ask your friends and siblings what they think, too.  Don't take it personally if your friends don't feel comfortable being in public with you dressed like that for a while.  Because, not only will the attention be on you, but them, too.  Thankfully, I have a wonderful best friend who said she actually really likes it and would even consider dressing this way, too.  My younger sister still refuses to go out in public with me, but she'll probably warm up with time.

     I hope that these methods will help in convincing your family and friends.  They worked fairly well for me, but it took some time.  Just make sure you reassure your family that you will not be dressing like this all the time, and that you can pay for your dresses. (Unless you're lucky enough to have someone who will buy them for you.)  Hopefully your family will see how much this means to you, and will support you along the way~
     

      

No comments:

Post a Comment